Foundation of Roma Lodge
A group of Italo-Americans from Tulare, Lindsay and Porterville districts met together and decided to a form a Lodge to help preserve their heritage and customs of their land and also to encourage those who had not yet become naturalized citizens to do so.
The first meeting was held at the Tulare’s woman’s clubhouse on April 13, 1930, to organize nominate and elect new officers.
Grand Deputy Catherine Masselli of Fresno and Venerable Virginia Fillippi of Rosa de Italia Lodge, Hanford conducted the meeting.
Mario Bruno, Frank Fornasero and Fernando Teglia were given credit for signing up the most members who had privilege of signing the charter.
First Roma Lodge President
Installation of Officers
May 25, 1930
Initiation and installation of officers was held May 25, 1930. Venerable Virginia Filippi conducted the meeting assisted by Grand Deputy, Catherine Masselli and District Deputy , Joe Finni and the installation by Grand Venerable Domenico Jannarone. Eighty-six members were initiated of the 115 who were signed up as charter members. Those unable to attend were initiated at the next meeting.
Rosa Di Italia Lodge of Hanford , sponsor of Roma Lodge in Tulare, contributed $15.00 toward the support of the new lodge.
Approximately 250 members of nearby Lodges of the Order Sons of Italy in America were present. At to the conclusion of the event refreshments were served and dancing followed to the music of the Vagabond orchestra.